Today we take aim at the non-believers, the naive, the pixel-packing pervs, the consumer-driven suckers, the wasteful, the know nothing but digital society and tell them one of the most lucrative jobs on offer for a photographer in the US…

…has a requirement to shoot large format film.

US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg

The position listed on USAJobs by the Department of the Interior National Park Service is open for applications from US residents who meet the strict criteria until December the 15th. The expertise required is certainly recognised as they are offering up to a staggering $100,000 per year paid salary.

Here’s a brief overview of the duties one lucky skilled photographer will be required to do:

“Produces large-format photographic documentation to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the HABS/HAER/HALS permanent collection at the Library of Congress. Develops photographic guidelines and standards for traditional and born-digital photographic processes and products.  Produces exhibition quality prints for exhibition, publication, or other visual purposes.  Evaluates submissions and provides advice and assistance concerning production of photographic documentation for donations to the collection or for mitigation purposes.  Makes presentations about the collection or the programs to various public and private groups.”

Although not resident in the US, Phogotraphy scanned through the job requirements and picked out a couple of the best specialised experience needed should you wish to apply:

Use large format cameras and related equipment to take and process photographs in a field setting.

Using and operating a large format camera is one thing, however the those with a tendency to swoon gleefully at the smell of developer will certain be excited knowing they’ll get to spend some time in the dark:

Operate a photographic laboratory to process film and images and prepare for field work.

Photography students who are studying or studied at universities that have dropped their darkroom facilities will feel at a considerable disadvantage and quite rightly so. Further education is meant to give people the skills and qualifications they need to progress in their chosen career, however if well known government bodies are still actively recruiting artists who have a good basis of film knowledge this may pose as a huge problem for the institutions that have opted out of film photography.

We are delighted to see that some large organisations are still taking large format film very seriously and hope the revelation this may come to some people may make them think twice when leaving the a-typical Facebook comment “none of the pros use film any more” which we know to be absolutely untrue.

via USAJobs via Believe in Film

107 thoughts on “National Park Service $100,000 Job Opening. Skills Required: Large Format Photography

• Scott McClarin December 9, 2015 / 11:27 pm

Contact Clyde Butcher…his Nat Parks job is waiting for him…http://www.clydebutcher.com/…oooh you might need to compensate him a bit better though…I bet he makes much more than that small annual salary on his own print sales and workshops…just covering the Everglades NP.

• Oscar December 10, 2015 / 4:27 am

But does he have an awesome retirement and benefits? lol

• Peter Bosco December 10, 2015 / 9:36 pm

The position requires a “male” applicant to be born AFTER Jan. 1,1959. So Cylde, and yours truly, are excluded from the position. Sounds like age discrimination to me.

• . December 15, 2015 / 2:31 am

It requires “males born after 1959” to be registered with selective service…

• Rudy harvey December 10, 2015 / 4:12 am

Large format is awesome. I shoot large format with a Betterlight scan back. The best of both worlds.

I do think digital is the way to go and I don’t miss the chemicals. I think I’ve already done enough harm to my health with chemicals for the past 30 years.
      Give me extreme high res,raw,dng, color management system and photoshop and I’m good.

• Alastair Moore December 14, 2015 / 2:13 am

The way to go for you, perhaps, but not for all of us. My day job has me sat in front of a computer for long enough without having to go home and spend more time in front of a computer.

Give me the tactile methods of wet printing, beautiful prints that inkjet printers still cannot replicate and I’m good.

• Daniel Mainzer February 10, 2016 / 4:12 am

Revenge of the talented!! Especially BW!

• fakhar rizve December 10, 2015 / 3:10 pm

Hello
      I am very fond of hunting . But m passion is to capture wild life and nature. Thats y I am interested I have got professional equipment like cannon mark ii etc.

1. Chuck Kimmerle December 8, 2015 / 5:55 pm

Jeezuz, dude, lighten up. Your sentimental and emotional attachment to film borders on ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with shooting digitally. To assert otherwise is irrational and, to be frank, noobish.

As for this job, shooting LF is only one of the requirements, and there is no way a GS11/12 is going to be making $100,000 on day one. That is the pay for the top step which is, for right or wrong, how federal jobs are advertised. For anyone with enough experience to qualify, that means they’ll reach that amount in 5-7 years, but only if they qualify for the GS12 level. If not, add another 2-3 years. This is hardly a get-rich shooting LF dream job.

• Silver Gelly December 8, 2015 / 6:56 pm

Wow Chuck, way to play internet whack-a-mole and draw negative attention to your self / site. I mean, how long have film users had to endure hearing how great digital is and how film is dead? Must be going on 3 decades now, dunno, I started using digital professionally 22 years ago. I still much prefer film by the way for black and white, you know, the real deal and all hand printed instead of just pressing “play”.

As for the job listing, I think it would be pretty cool to do if I did not already do well in photography as it is. But make no mistake, doing HABS/HAER/HALS is really exacting work, beyond the regular LF shooter’s realm. I know of a few people who do it as assignment work and while they like it, they find it tough. I wonder if they are phasing out the freelancer thing and just assigning the staffer?

Interesting either way.

Liked by 2 people

• Julie Hunter December 9, 2015 / 7:02 pm

I am going to find a way to reuse “internet whack-a-mole”…. That’s the best comment ever. LOL.

• Paul December 9, 2015 / 3:43 am

It’s clearly not a get rich job. It’s a job for someone with background, who is ready and able to do hard field work and filter a lot of other buzz involved to have a better job than most of us. If they have the passion and effort.

Perhaps someone who can bridge old and new school. But not you.

• Jen December 9, 2015 / 1:57 pm

Yeah. I’ve applied for government jobs for about 10 years now and they are very strict about who they hire. Mainly require Master’s or PhD level education..even for secretarial jobs.
      I have two degrees and every job I’ve applied for has come back saying I’m under qualified. With 20 years experience in my field and two degrees I finally gave up.
      So good luck..apply all day but it will be like winning the lottery.

• Phogotraphy December 9, 2015 / 1:59 pm

That is very sad to hear Jen, and even sadder knowing you had to give up. I hope you can still do what you love as a hobby or at home.

• Mr. Pix December 9, 2015 / 6:54 pm

Digital is a viable replacement for 35mm color film, but that’s it. Medium- and large format film still blows away digital for rendering power and dynamic range. Moreover, there are only a few and very tortured ways to get a DSLR to act like a view camera. Attempts to mate such bodies to bellows end up creating lots of dirty sensors and you still don’t get the information space of a large piece of film.

Finally, there isn’t a digital output medium in existence that comes even close to a well made silver print for sheer expression and beauty.

• Richard Wells December 9, 2015 / 7:39 pm

Mr. Pix, YOU make SENSE! Personally, I cut my teeth on 4X5 Speed Graphics and View cameras and even 8X10. They are a whole world that the little digital gagets have not come close to in quality imaging. As a US Navy and US Marine photographer, Ive seen and done a lot. NONE of it on 35mm OR 2 1/4.

2. Benedict Heekwan Yang December 8, 2015 / 6:22 pm

Hello, I really want to get this job. I have large format cameras and I am a good skilled photographer who is well experienced.
    Please, do not lose me.
    And watch my website.
    Thanks.

From Benedict Heekwan Yang

3. Andrew Kreps December 8, 2015 / 6:53 pm

Actually, there are a number of issues with digital images once you put time into the proper perspective. The age-old debate about resolution comes to mind. Also, digital has proven again and again that it does not last. I can look at a 100 year-old negative that is still as good as it was when it was shot- and it can be reproduced with more quality using modern techniques since it’s optical in nature.

If you look at a digital photo from 5, or even 10 years ago, you may begin to see it’s limitations.

• Phogotraphy December 8, 2015 / 6:59 pm

Thanks Andrew, we agree. On visiting huge photography trade shows like Photokina it is evident that although the majority of commercial photography is geared towards digital, the true high, high end products are still working with sheets of film.

• thetypefaceproject December 9, 2015 / 5:30 pm

I agree with this 100%, and am proud to have helped run the darkroom at the University of Colorado, where film is still considered fine art photography. Wouldn’t trade my boxes of negatives and sheet film for all the high end digital cameras in the world. Digging through boxes of 100+ year old photographs feels beautiful and magical. The current generation will never experience this feeling with a box of defunct smart phones and SD cards they can no longer access. The tangibility of prints that soaked in developer and fixer can not be replicated in digital printing, toxic as they may be for our skin, lungs, and the environment. Call OSHA on this one and shoot away.

• Demetrios December 8, 2015 / 9:05 pm

True, but you can always print digital negatives and print large in analogue. Most times, we see only the prints and never the original negative, whether it is Bresson or Newton

• David King December 8, 2015 / 9:58 pm

I think you’re confusing digital prints with digital images. The digital files could potentially last thousands of years with no degradation. It remains to be seen if the data will actually be preserved for more than a century. Data still exists on old 10-inch floppy disks, but where’re the drives to read it?

• Rex Fuller December 9, 2015 / 4:26 am

I think they’re referring to the amount of data available in the file itself versus the amount of data available for extraction from scanning a film exposure. Digital will inevitably catch up, but the real question is when. A digital image file from 5 or 10 years ago has no potential for improvement aside from what is already visible at its highest resolution on-screen, whereas a film exposure can be scanned at a higher resolution.

4. JAKEE December 8, 2015 / 7:09 pm

Sounds like a cool job and fair pay, but why do you act like 100,000 is a lot for an in-house photographer? Chill. That’s not some like crazy, lotto winning number. Pretty normal, if not below, depending on the type of work. But high for a government job, yes.

• Mark Haviland December 8, 2015 / 8:32 pm

With the cost of living around the D.C. Metro area, $100K is just getting-by, middle-class money.

• Stephen Friedt December 10, 2015 / 10:56 pm

According to the announcement you wont have to live in DC. Who has gs 10 photographer experience? There are no photographer jobs ever. They already have someone picked for this job.

5. Laura Campbell December 8, 2015 / 7:21 pm

An employment opportunity for a Large Format *film* Photographer makes us all dance a jig. Thanks for sharing. Film rules!

6. Simon December 8, 2015 / 7:36 pm

why oh why did i not buy an 8×10 camera 10 years ago and learn to use it.

• TR December 9, 2015 / 5:19 am

I have a Toyo 810M 8×10 system for sale. Nikon lenses, compendium lens shade and 10 holders. All in white hard sided cases. Beautiful camera.

• Chuck DeMund December 9, 2015 / 5:47 pm

What are you asking?

7. Taylor Bradley December 8, 2015 / 8:01 pm

Long overdue, an honor to those who served. Watkins! O’Sullivan! Muybridge!

Here’s to plate photography

8. Michael Bergin December 8, 2015 / 8:02 pm

How do I apply?

• lauracampbellgizmo December 9, 2015 / 8:50 pm

NPS lists jobs with USA Jobs.

9. Taylor Bradley December 8, 2015 / 8:02 pm

My dream job

10. melchior di giacomo December 8, 2015 / 8:46 pm

nickey boy,i love the large format.have you ever seen lois conner’s work from china.breathtaking.i wish i had the temperament for large format.i can’t leave the streets.

11. Tom Lindsay December 8, 2015 / 8:49 pm

I still have a shelf full of Ansel Adams books. Alas, I too stopped shooting film when Kodachrome left us. Oh, well.

12. Diana F. December 8, 2015 / 8:58 pm

How do I apply?

13. reselgroth December 8, 2015 / 9:13 pm

I know how to use large format and own my own 4×5″ view camera that I’ve used several times but never developed the film myself I always sent it out. I could do this , I have a pretty high degree of outdoor skills and have hiked the high Sierras , Mt Whitney twice and around Big Pine Lakes a few times. But I don’t know why the Parks dept would want anyone using those chemicals again, toxic stuff and bad for the environment. I’m out wouldn’t do it.

• lauracampbellgizmo December 9, 2015 / 8:52 pm

The manufacture of digital cameras is just as toxic. Think about all that plastic… Plus the waste.

14. john minnicks December 8, 2015 / 9:46 pm

well I build Custom large format cameras… And have had a Photostudio for 30 years… 8×10 film down through Minox cameras,,, If this dosent Qualifie me what does ,, Born in NYC …. john minnicks.. AND YES my eyes are Sharp.. with a Glow in My heart .. FILM RULES …

• Laura Campbell December 9, 2015 / 5:52 am

High-five! The smell of film is as delightful as a flower in a spring meadow! Yeehaw!

15. Art December 8, 2015 / 10:32 pm

Digital cameras come large format too

16. dlaureys December 8, 2015 / 10:49 pm

I started photography in the mid sixties, shot tons of large and 35mm film and developed it myself, then came digital, have no problem with it love it, whatever I did in a darkroom I do in Photoshop or Lightroom except I don’t have the constant smell of chemicals which I don’t miss. If you have the money to buy different films for different situations be my guest and please go ahead and stay with film if that’s what you like.Me I’ll stick with digital, I can change white balance whenever I want, which is important to me, and I use live view just like a large format camera. And no more chemicals, I did spend tremendous time in darkrooms, that’s very nice.

• Michael Eric Bérubé December 9, 2015 / 5:12 am

It seems funny to me that most of the people who are so nostalgic for the glories of ‘film’ weren’t ever forced to deal with its huge limitations and quirks. That’s all that was available for the first 17 years of my career. These last 13 years shooting digitally have been much more fruitful. I miss the wonderfully crafted clockwerk build of all my old film cameras (Leicas, Nikons, Hasselblads, Mamiyas, Rolleis), but I absolutely LOVE what I can do with variable ASA (in crazy low light) in camera and with a RAW file in LR.

• Silver Gelly December 9, 2015 / 5:39 pm

Yeah, it’s not always about nostalgia sir. I still use film because I like the journey and the result, like that it is not the software that takes the credit but my imperfect touch. I too was “forced” to use film until the mid 90’s when digital came along. I have some of the best digital gear money can buy including a brand new high end digital back for my Hasselblad medium format system. If given a choice, I choose film every time.

17. John the Photographer December 8, 2015 / 11:06 pm

As a photographer who loves film, especially large format, I have to laugh at the tone of this article. Why does everyone need to feel the need to defend one or the other when it’s insanely obvious that their are advantages to both. Anyone with a particularly keen eye should be able to approach a specific project and think, ‘This project would look better on film’ while another project ‘might look better on digital.’ It’s really as simple as being adaptive. This could have been a cool article showcasing how film still has a relevant place, but instead was a knee-jerk, angry response, like driving full steam ahead down the middle of what should be a friendly two-way street. Bummer.

• Cody December 9, 2015 / 1:28 am

The generation of photographers being produced in this age of digital everything, by and large, have an extremely shallow understanding of photography as a craft. The required education, dedication, discipline, and dare I say love that you need to compose, shoot, successfully (and skillfully) process and print a large format negative has been completely negated and obnoxiously side-stepped by this new medium.

Yes, when a Large Format Photography job comes up, those of us whom actually care to possess the skill and knowledge to do work at this level are prone to laugh in the face of the digital crowd. They cannot do work at this level because they couldn’t be bothered to learn anything beyond flipping a switch and pressing the shutter button an indeterminate and utterly inconsequential number of times. There are digital photographers who would love a position like this, I’m sure, but any disappointment they feel is a direct result of the realization that no matter how skilled they assume themselves to be, they have robbed themselves of the skills they need to do photography at its highest level. The easy path is rarely the most rewarding.

There is definitely a place for both mediums at the table. I use both. But the NPS was not and is not looking for people who take shortcuts with regard to their chosen art form. There are far too may of those photographers around today.

• dhogaza December 9, 2015 / 4:09 am

Cody:

“The required education, dedication, discipline, and dare I say love that you need to compose, shoot, successfully (and skillfully) process and print a large format glass-plate, hand-coated negative has been completely negated and obnoxiously side-stepped by this new medium of cut film.”

There, fixed that for you. Wimp.

• Cody December 9, 2015 / 11:26 pm

Was the insult necessary? I mean, it definitely was, if you were hoping to make yourself look foolish AFTER drawing your -almost- insightful but sadly poor comparison. 5/10.

• Phogotraphy December 9, 2015 / 11:29 pm

I had thought “wimp” was an acronym I hadn’t understood or perhaps you knew the other commenter.

• Laura Campbell December 10, 2015 / 3:34 am

NPS continuing to hire LF photographers is something to celebrate. It’s a win for LF and traditional photographic materials. Thanks again, Cody, for your thoughtful commentary.

• Cody December 10, 2015 / 3:53 am

Thank you, Laura!

• Malika Mokadem photography December 9, 2015 / 10:08 am

Thanks John! You are so right…I use both, depending of the look, the final use, my general mood….time is also sometimes a factor of choice, and sometimes I even double up the shoot in both digital and film😉

18. Ryker December 9, 2015 / 12:19 am

Large format photography is still a pendind assignment in my career, i still enjoy shooting film in small and medium format and developing the film, just hope someday i will be able to afford some large format gear to get started with it

19. Daryl L Hunter December 9, 2015 / 1:03 am

Oh, I loved my 4X5 view camera I used to shoot in the 80’s. I was inspired by Adams to shoot our national parks and moved to Jackson Hole to shoot Grand Teton and Yellowstone Parks. It didn’t take long before my meager rural income limited my ability to click the shutter of my $4 per click, (Ektachrome) so I had to sell the dang thing. Then I had kids and couldn’t afford an effective amount of 35mm slide film either.

I am very thankful for digital technology that makes shooting affordable again and teaching photography a breeze. It is amazing how fast I can get a student up to speed since the proof of success is on the camera back and not in a yellow box of slides that is a week away.

It was a wonderful day when my drum scanner broke for the last time and I didn’t feel compiled to fix it. I went through my slide library and threw away every slide I knew I would never bother to scan = 3 large garbage sacks. Nope, I don’t miss film.

• Silver Gelly December 9, 2015 / 5:49 pm

This seems to be a common theme of older folks, “Nope, don’t miss film, digital is much easier”. Yep, it is easier. And Willie Nelson might find playing a guitar sound on Garage Band instead of a real guitar “easier” too. A cook might find it much “easier” to just pop a potato in the microwave than boil it in water infused with herbs too. A lot of young people know better, they don’t want to take the easy way out, they don’t want their print to be the result of hitting the enter / return key on their computer. They want hand made. Too bad you are not teaching that like I do, because trust me, it is worth more than what you to consider “Easier to teach”.

• Daryl L Hunter December 10, 2015 / 1:14 am

Silver Gelly,
        That is great you can find enough students to learn as we did with hand held light meters, grey cards and lenses you can hold up to the sky and demonstrate how an aperture works with the movement of a lever. This is the best foundation they can have when the eventually move into digital. I am also glad there are college classes that teach film providing buyers for our F series film cameras at $50 a pop. It is awesome the Pentax K1000 is still in production just to teach students.

My students come to Grand Teton Park with digital camera’s they often don’t know how to use for a 5 hours of power learning while I also teach them about the park and its wildlife. If I was waiting for the phone to ring for folks to learn their film camera, I would be very lonely and broke.

Digital photography has brought a lot of people to photography who previously wouldn’t have been interested. Half of that interest may be social media? None the less, there are dozens of thousands of baby boomers hiring people like me to show they how to use their new gear. Democratizing photography with digital technology has enabled millions to start living a better life because of the quicker learning curve. A quicker learning curve that get thousands and thousands of people off the couch ever saturday morning so they can have an awesome photo to post onto Flickr of Facebook.

Very few care to become professional photographers or chefs, they just want to capture a beautiful world in an effective way. When I’m trying to inspire hobbyists hoping to improve, one of my pep talks is about how photographers live a more beautiful life than everyone else because we have learned to see. I’m not trying to teach the art of cooking a Macadamia-Crusted Sea Bass with Mango Cream Sauce, I’m inspiring people to travel more so they can post beautiful photos to Facebook. Actually I’m more of a life coach than photography instructor. An article on my blog explains it; “Living a richer life without any money.

Maybe you would like to buy my Howtec D4500 drum scanner for your students – Cheers

• Ron Hendrix December 9, 2015 / 6:02 pm

I shot 4×5 film, climbed the Grand and am retired scanner operator ( drum scanner) now shooting digital. Loved it all. Can you still buy a sheet of 8×10 Ektachrome?

• Daryl L Hunter December 10, 2015 / 1:18 am

Yes Ron, and I hear it is more expensive than ever. Today I was given ANOTHER Howtek D4500 drum scanner. As you know, these sold for $36,000 brand new and I have had 2 of them given to me. That is a pretty good achievement making it to the top of the Grand.

• Cody December 10, 2015 / 1:26 am

People are giving drum scanners away?! Let me know if you happen upon a third you just cannot find room for… it’ll make a nice addition to my home lab. And my Hasselblad scans will never be the same.

20. Eric Fanucchi December 9, 2015 / 2:27 am

The film vs digital war is over.
    Digital has won considerable ground but film and larger formats remain in the hearts of retro rites and the NPS.
    The 1965 Ford Mustang is a classic and remains popular because it is a classic and not because of its performance or safety … So is the case for film and Large Format.

21. David Speltz December 9, 2015 / 2:57 am

There are plenty of us out there who could do this job quite well, because we do it now…. just not paid by the government. I hope this is taken seriously and really happens for someone. And younger than 60.

22. Dan Webb December 9, 2015 / 3:27 am

Wow! Sounds like an amazing job opportunity for someone! I would love to meet the person that gets the job. Just to be able to watch, learn, observe and admire part of the evolution of photography.

It’s unfortunate that the article was written to point fingers and show a bunch of posturing! It’s the same over and over again. What one person thinks is always better than what another person thinks.

Imaging technology has changed the world and the way we do things. With all change there are usually benefits and disadvantages and they differ depending on who you ask.

23. Hannah Kinney December 9, 2015 / 4:43 am

I use film and I’m still learning how to use it, but I love it! I would love to do this, but I’m only 16. Can I still sign up to get the job?

• None December 9, 2015 / 9:22 am

would you if offered? (which, sorry, you won’t be if NPS is sane enough!)

24. Jared Ribic December 9, 2015 / 6:41 am

That’s really cool, until you run into armed Russian troupes in the middle of nowhere in Washington State, like the firefighters did this summer.

25. dn December 9, 2015 / 6:57 am

All the complexities of the position and the fancy cameras and lingo aside, too much for my one shot Canon brain, how much IS the national debt? As the saying goes, “Ya gotta start somewhere.”

26. None December 9, 2015 / 9:20 am

well, some mixed/messed up comments and views about film vs digital here … (that shows only one thing: some guys/gals don’t have any idea what the real difference in film vs digital photography TRULY is but they consider themselves expert enough to express their own loose opinions about it!)

anyhoot, let’s get to business: is the $100K/yr payment only the photographer’s wage, or does it include the costs of the film, processing and prints too? if the second case (which is unlikely unless the NPS also doesn’t know a thing about film photography!) then it’s certainly not worth it at all …

if it is just the photographer’s wage, then i guess the NPS ought to consider at least $1M/yr for the costs of material and equipment too! can they afford it? well, certainly yes!😉

• Yvette December 9, 2015 / 6:09 pm

It is a government job which means the government pays for ALL supplies. To think that the NPS will hire you and make you purchase supplies is ridiculous. And for the person with the right education and expertise, as well as having to probably live in Washington DC, this is just okay money. Not sure why this post is such a big deal.

27. Cole Scott Moffett (@ColeScottPhoto) December 9, 2015 / 2:07 pm

Film vs. digital again! Do we have to bring the reality tv mentality to photography? Let’s just celebrate the fact that there is a good job for an experienced photographer out there.

28. Lisa December 9, 2015 / 2:39 pm

I work as an architectural historian in this office. We need a skilled architectural photographer who shoots 4×5 or 5×7 black and white large format. They need to do archivally stable wet processing in our photo lab. The starting salary is no where near $100,000 – that is just the end range of the GS salary schedule (i.e. maybe after 20 years…). See http://www.nps.gov/hdp/index.htm

• Phogotraphy December 9, 2015 / 2:43 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Lisa. Do you have a contact email where we could reach out to you for comment?

• Silver Gelly December 9, 2015 / 7:19 pm

I did not mean to make it sound like you perpetuated the “Ansel Adams” thing, the other people who aggregated your info did however. Onward…

• Phogotraphy December 9, 2015 / 7:20 pm

Thanks Silver. I’ve just seen Ansel Adams is now trending in Twitter, a result of us breaking this story. Sensationalist blogs, huh?🙂

• Silver Gelly December 9, 2015 / 6:43 pm

Yep, sounds like standard HABS/HAER/HALS work, architectural which is great but not the “Ansel Adams” stuff that all these articles have now made people to believe. I bet you are getting at least 100 applications per hour on this based on that. It will be great for someone but they won’t be standing on a fine Winter day at Inspiration Point in Yosemite pulling in 6 figures.

As an aside, are you still offering this work to freelancers?

• Phogotraphy December 9, 2015 / 6:46 pm

Jftr, Phogotraphy being the first to cover the job didn’t mention Ansel Adams once.

29. Don December 9, 2015 / 5:22 pm

As much as I respect and admire LF and wet processes, I do wonder what the real purpose of this job is – to preserve the tradition? Does NPS really thing digital is not archiveable? That LF digital backs are not the equal or better than 8×10 film resolution? Film is a wonderful aesthetic choice today, not a gold standard.

And, “up to $100k” in Washington, D.C.? That’s lower middle class wages there (but the benefits are good).

A great job for a younger person w/o family to build a great resume and connections to advance her career. Yet, if preserving tradition is the goal, a demanding but useful tool for NPS to mine the accumulated experience of a 55-75 year-old who actually worked professionally with the format. And who already has a retirement income.🙂

Yes, I would love to do it and I would love to see more jobs appear like it. I applaud the NPS. Arts funding is quite difficult in Wasshington.

• Phogotraphy December 9, 2015 / 5:54 pm

😂 First comment that has genuinely made us laugh.

• Jon Shields December 10, 2015 / 1:20 pm

You laugh, but:
        “Note: If you receive an email stating that there was a technical problem uploading your documents, you should fax the applicable documentation to OPM at 478-757-3144. Be sure to use the fax cover sheet that was linked in the vacancy announcement; include the appropriate Vacancy ID Number 1564575 so that the fax is processed properly and promptly. For further questions regarding applying online or by fax, please contact OPM at ApplicationManagerHelpDesk@opm.gov.”

30. EL Fanucchi December 9, 2015 / 7:28 pm

If you start the process of resume building to apply
    for this position on USA Jobs .. the very first questions
    ask if you are military or federal employee.
    All others need not apply.
    If you are above and disabled in some way you will
    get extra qualifying points.

31. rGene Aker December 9, 2015 / 11:15 pm

Inspires me to take my view camera out to the Pecos Wilderness and shoot a few sheets. I’ll do it for free! I’m a happy amateur. Started shooting View Cameras back in 1960. Still doing it!

Liked by 2 people

32. Oscar December 10, 2015 / 4:26 am

They’re wasting tax payers money in a dead field. I work as a visual information specialist for the park service and i know that some jobs are advertised because they already existed and needed to be filled. They opened a job recently that required “Hollywood style” elevations I mean really? Contract it out and stop overpaying for dead skills. Large format processing is nothing a Hassleblad 80mp cannot do.

• David Swanson December 14, 2015 / 1:28 am

Hasse Phase One cannot be compared to film… it’s a different look, which in this case wouldn’t matter, though.

33. Stephen Friedt December 10, 2015 / 10:52 pm

This job is for an old guy that hates computers. Leave it up to the government to be light years behind. Does this job require the ability to use a rotary phone and drive a horseless carriage?

34. David Swanson December 14, 2015 / 1:27 am

Most technically minded folks could learn to use a 4×5 film camera with a spot and light meter, but that is far from what this job really requires. Judging by their previous photo archive, if you’re an “artist” wanting to get paid a bunch of money to go out and do what you love to do, this isn’t it. They want documentation of places with no artistic slant to them. Aside from this, more importantly is the ability to work with people, and the various personalities. It’s never about the skill, as of course that is thee first requirement. It’s always about the ability to work with the next higher up.

35. Paul December 16, 2015 / 5:51 pm

I wonder if they need an assistant who is a hobby photographer (all digital, sorry) that will meet them at the national parks for photo shoots. I’d love to do the travel part, and I’d only ask for half that big gov’t salary!

• Phogotraphy December 16, 2015 / 5:55 pm

I can imagine a role as an assistant would be very helpful. You’d need to get out of that digital comfort zone though🙂

• j June 29, 2016 / 6:28 pm

Half is what they would actually offer, according to another govt employee familiar with the office, 100k is the upper end of the range only attained after about 20 years on employment, you might be dead by then. In the area the job is in, even if you had top range, it’s a mediocre salary for the cost of living. Why is everyone using this comment area as a means to apply for the job – go to the website if interested. But you also must be a federal employee too. Eliminating dark rooms on college campuses may be sad, but 1 job for this skill in the whole USA, see any impracticality for having a university fund the continuance of hand processing? It should be left to certain schools focused on historic skills, but it’s not very practical. And this coming from someone with a BA and MFA in arts from a university that had a dark room, no digital was permitted. Granted it was in a town that was a bit of a photography mecca (historical methods). My first job out of undergrad was working for a public university aka the govt..and as another commenter said (paraphrasing), this isn’t really a job about artistic merit, just historical documenting. I would agree with that. The higher-ups will dictate what you make, it won’t be for a true artist. If you want to make fine art, do it outside of your day job. This is indeed just a day job. Also, if you think this job is still open, think again, most likely yes, slotted for someone before it was even posted. All govt jobs have to be posted publicly by law before given to someone. It’s just a formality to post it.